Sunday, May 17, 2015

Looking Around - Betsy's Post


THis boxwood arch, 15 feet high could have  been planted by Louis XlV. It is the beginning of The Big Walk around the bowl.


May 16, 2015
Yesterday was cold and alternately sunny and rainy, damp but bracing walking weather. The rain was always rather light coming in waves with the wind, not like the New England grim, cold and unrelenting nor’easters, and the sunny bits were warm and bright and sparkling, not to mention welcome. In the expanse of the bowl around us, the shadows of clouds flowed back and forth across the landscape  bringing the lines of rain and pushing aside the sunny areas in their passing.  In the right light, you could see the gusts of wind push over the tops of the oats in waves. The whole walkabout was a frolicking weather stew.  Apparently the system is going to be sitting on us for the week. A good time to read.  On the walk I came by a field of oats strewn with bright poppies that was straight out of Monet. As we have noticed so often, France looks an awful lot like the Impressionists said it did.  The farm where the poppies were is owned by the Dutch lady who takes her cheeses to the markets.  I didn’t see any cows around but when I go to the market this morning, I’ll look for her. She said she always took cheeses on trips and had no problem at customs. I might try that. By the way, we never had our luggage examined anywhere.

From the Saturday market: Saucisson au Roquefort, au fenouil {lamb?), au canard , paella, olives,  cheeses with lovely brown and olive green rinds cut from big rounds , unusual looking head lettuce and potatoes for potato salad and the basket to carry it all in. The cheese man kept giving me little slivers of cheese and I kept trying to give him money and make a shape with my hands of how much I wanted. He’d just give me another sliver and I’d like that even better. We were at an impasse until a gentleman who spoke English helped me buy the last one. Next time, we can get the one with Fenugreek or fenugeek or whatever.    On the way home, I got French Mayonnaise and it is yummy, much yellower and very lemony. So good.   On my walk, I checked out the cherry tree I used to gather from last trip.  Que Dolour! There were just a few green cherries and they won’t be ripe for a month.  But last night I looked out the bathroom window and there were cherry trees 3 feet away with lots of green cherries and a few turning red! How did I miss this last time?


Random Notes:   The only hand soap I found is a hunk the shape of a pound of butter that is hard to hold. But wait! I’ll cut it up.    I can’t get used to bottled milk sitting unrefrigerated on market shelves next to dish detergent. It’s really convenient and almost as tasty.      In Cabannes there is a jolly and colorful RECYCLE sign with an arrow pointing around the left of the building to the back. The right side of the building says ANTIQUES in much more muted and sophisticated tones.  I drove around to the back but all I saw were stacks of wooden pallets.        When you enter a town, there is a sign with its name; when you leave it, there is the same sign with the international sign of NO! slashed through it.  So much for YOU, town.       

No comments:

Post a Comment