Wednesday, June 8, 2011

06-08-2011 JP's Post

JP Post for 06-08.2011
Monet had Hay Stacks, JP Paints Bales
Under drawing completed - first acrylic brush & wash, then burnt umber and painting medium brushed in. On Ampersand Gesso Board. easy to carry lots of these in a suitcase.
I think Monet would have loved these great round shapes as much as his hay stacks.
This field is on the opposite rim of the great bowl from our artists’ villa. There is purple alfalfa across the narrow road at my back with the low hum of working bees and a frieze of black and white cows.  A red fox with a healthy brush (tail) lopes across the middle ground. Quiet, except for song birds and crickets and the “screee” of a high wheeling hawk under the opalescent clouds and the occasional passing tractor or truck with waving amused farm people. I must be quite an absurd and anachronistic sight hunched over my box easel. It is so very familiar. We have seen it in great French and Flemish painting: Breughel, Rubens, Monet, Corot, and Van Gogh.   My first job was on the Barney’s Joy Farm helping Mr. Silvia with chores, bucking hay bales, milking the cow at day’s end my tired head against her great round belly.
JP

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy and JP, It is so completely glorious that the 2 of you are there. I eat my breakfast of Alderbrook Farm eggs and tea as I catch up on your adventures. A perfect way to begin my day. I love your descriptive narratives, appealing photographs and alluring landscape paintings. But best of all I simply LOVE that you are having this bountiful experience and you're sharing it with all of us. Thank you. Much love to you both,xo Joney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy and John, thank you for posting! I feel like I am in those fields! You are all so incredibly talented and it is just fabulous to be able to share your experience with you all the way back in Westport. Best, rebecca lee

    ReplyDelete